The Church of St Mary Magdalene has been a place of worship for the townspeople of Newark on Trent for over 800 years.
It is notable for the tower and the octagonal spire (236 feet (72 m) high), the highest in Nottinghamshire and reputed to be the fifth tallest in the UK. The central piers remain from the previous church, dating from the 11th or 12th century. The upper parts of the tower and spire were completed about 1350; the nave dates from between 1384 and 1393, and the chancel from 1489.
The sanctuary is bounded on the south and north by two chantry chapels, the former of which has on one of its panels a remarkable painting from the Dance of Death. There are a few old monuments, and an exceedingly fine brass of the 14th century. There is a hole in the spire which was supposedly made by a musket ball during the Civil War, although there is doubt locally as to the truth of the story. This hole is visible from some parts of the town centre. Much is written about our Church, its past and present. A good start point is, of course, a visit! A few good links are shown below but if you wish to suggest other links please email the Parish Office.
There is also a remarkable compilation of historic data and documentation (376 pages) by Brenda M. Pask – limited edition – please enquire at the Church Office in the Vestry.